As the holiday season approaches, many residents of Poughkeepsie, New York, are planning to celebrate Thanksgiving 2018 by dining on their favorite holiday staples while being surrounded by families and friends. But when the meal is over and it’s time to clear away what everyone left on their plates, it’s crucial to be aware that not all food scraps belong in the kitchen garbage disposal.
To deter the chances of your Thanksgiving festivities being interrupted due to a malfunctioning garbage disposal or an associated plumbing emergency, make sure not to dump any of the following foods down your garbage disposal after you finish Thanksgiving dinner this year:
Garbage disposals are durable enough to break down a variety of highly robust food particles, but they lack the ability to break down bones. In fact, putting turkey bones into your disposal can permanently dull your appliance’s blades and drastically reduce its lifespan, so make a point to throw any leftover bones in the trash instead of down the drain this holiday season.
Grease and Oils
Cooking staples such as olive, canola, and peanut oils, along with other types of oily liquids, may appear to pose no threat to your garbage disposal initially. However, these substances solidify once they get into your pipes, which can cause serious clogs that will need to be cleared with the help of a professional plumber.
Potato skins might make it through your garbage disposal, but they will ultimately become sludge as they make their way down your drain and piping system. This often leads to serious clogs that necessitate expensive repairs, so do your best to keep the peels out of the sink when you’re skinning the potatoes this Thanksgiving.
Several types of vegetables included as ingredients in stuffing or in conventional Thanksgiving side dishes should not be thrown down the garbage disposal. Stringy veggies such as a corn-on-the- cob, asparagus, and celery have the unique capacity to get wrapped around the blades of a disposal and effectively decrease their sharpness and cause the appliance itself to become jammed.